Recipe: Easy-to-make Spring Rolls for Chinese New Year
MANILA, Philippines — Spring Rolls are an auspicious dish to prepare for the Chinese New Year. It symbolizes wealth, and so the Chinese eat it so the wealth that it brings hopefully rubs off on them and brings them a year of prosperity and financial comfort.
If you want to tap on that wealth luck, here is an easy Spril Roll recipe you can do at home.
Magnolia Timplados Lumpiang Shanghai mix
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying
Bottled sweet chili sauce
1. Make a few balls out of the Lumpia mix purchased and test fry in hot oil. If the mix is according to your taste, use as is. If not, adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
2. Depending on the size of Lumpiang Shanghai desired, cut each wrapper into two, half for each Lumpia. Keep sheets in plastic bag to keep them from drying out and hardening as you work with each piece.
3. Make a thin log of the Lumpiang Shanghai mix near the cut end of the wrapper. Fold the edges in and roll to become thin cylinders. It is best to seal the rounded end with a dip of water from your finger. Repeat the procedure until all the Lumpiang Shanghai mix is consumed.
4. Heat oil and fry the spring rolls in batches until golden brown.
5. Remove from the oil. Drain off the excess oil on paper towels.
6. Serve with ready-to-use sweet chili sauce.
*Tip: If the Lumpiang Shanghai mix is not available, simply make your own by mixing together ground pork or chicken, shredded carrots, minced onion and chives.
RELATED: 8 ‘auspicious’ Chinese New Year food