US envoy warns vs use of Huawei
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - June 18, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The US government may limit sensitive information it will share to allies that will use technology provided by Chinese company Huawei, according to US ambassador to Manila Sung Kim.

In an interview with The Chiefs aired on Cignal TV’s One News Friday night, Kim said there would be no trade repercussions on allies that would not adhere to the US ban on the Chinese technology company.

“But I think one possible consequence would be that if we are deeply concerned about a country’s access to Huawei technology and how that is going to lead to theft of information, then we may have to be more cautious with what we share with that country,” he said.

The ambassador said the decision on whether or not to use Huawei is up to the governments or private companies.

“All we’re saying to our partners and friends is look, ‘let’s be careful because there is this risk out there,’” he said.

Last month, the US government also banned Huawei from obtaining parts and components from the US.

US President Donald Trump earlier declared a national emergency over a security threat allegedly posed by foreign telecommunications equipment from Huawei.

The Chinese firm denied allegations that its technology poses cybersecurity risks and filed a case against the US government over the ban.

HUAWEI SUNG KIM
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with