^

Headlines

Sandigan clears dockets for flood control cases

Daphne Galvez - The Philippine Star
Sandigan clears dockets for flood control cases
Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla said he has received word about the Sandiganbayan’s move.
Philstar.com / Irra Lising

MANILA, Philippines — Anti-graft court Sandiganbayan is currently drafting new rules to expedite the filing of cases and shorten the duration of trials amid the flood control corruption scandal.

Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla said he has received word about the Sandiganbayan’s move.

“I was told that the Sandiganbayan is now trying to craft its own rules of procedure, probably for the continuous trial of cases. I requested that already from the presiding justice,” he said in a press briefing.

Remulla earlier said his office aims to file the first case in the anomalous flood control scandal next month.

The ombudsman has so far received a complaint from the Department of Public Works and Highways on Sept. 11 against former officials of DPWH Bulacan 1st District Engineering Office, particularly Henry Alcantara, Brice Ericson Hernandez, Construction Section chief John Michael Ramos, Planning and Design Section chief Ernesto Galang and 15 others.

Also included in the complaint were private contractors Cezarah Discaya and Ma. Angeline Rimando of St. Timothy Construction Corp., Sally Santos of SYMS Construction Trading, Mark Allan Arevalo of Wawao Builders and Robert Imperio of IM Construction Corp.

These individuals were allegedly involved in P249 million worth of anomalous flood control projects in Malolos, Hagonoy, Baliwag, Bulakan and Calumpit in Bulacan.

The drafting of Sandiganbayan’s new rules first came to light during the House of Representatives’ plenary deliberation for the 2026 national budget.

Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez, the budget sponsor for the judiciary, said the anti-graft court is drafting new rules to shorten the trial for corruption cases to just 120 days.

Probes roll this week

The Office of the Ombudsman will also start its preliminary investigation into flood control-related cases in Bulacan and Oriental Mindoro this week, Remulla said.

“This week, it will roll. At least six flood control cases will start moving this week,” he said.

The preliminary investigation will determine if the cases will be filed before the Sandiganbayan.

The Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) had submitted before the ombudsman its findings on the questionable P289.5-million flood control projects in Naujan town in Oriental Mindoro that were implemented by the DPWH Region IV-B through contractor Sunwest Inc. in 2024.

In its 32-page report, the ICI urged the ombudsman to determine appropriate charges against 18 public officials, including the now resigned Ako Bicol party-list congressman Zaldy Co.

Remulla also said he will initiate a dialogue with the judiciary to seek guidance on the flood control cases, particularly on restitution of ill-gotten wealth.

VP wants digital tools

Meanwhile, Vice President Sara Duterte, herself accused of stealing public funds, yesterday said that digital transformation is the country’s weapon against corruption.

In her keynote speech during the 51st Philippine Business Conference and Expo held at the SMX Convention Center, she said that digital transformation would be the country’s “strategic tool” to stop corrupt leaders from stealing government funds, and lead to better governance and nation-building.

“As we digitize, we automate our processes, make data and all government transactions seamless, borderless, and transparent, and we leave no room for scrupulous backdoor transactions. We take away the power of corrupt leaders to manipulate public funds and capitalize on people’s money for their personal interests, greed, and political ambition,” she said.

“Let us use technology and digital transformation as weapons to close the door where corruption once thrived, unchecked and unpunished,” the Vice President added.

Lawmakers confessed to Church their roles

Meanwhile, Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) president and Kalookan Bishop Pablo Virgilio Cardinal David revealed that several senators and congressmen confessed their involvement in the flood control scandal and have sought moral and spiritual guidance from him.

“At some point, they get bothered by their conscience also,” he told Karmina Constantino on her “KC After Hours” vlog posted on YouTube Saturday.

He did not identify the lawmakers and did not give the dates of their meeting. — Evelyn Macairan

SANDIGANBAYAN

  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Latest
abtest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with