Data released by the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines Inc. (CAMPI) showed combined sales with the Truck Manufacturers Association Inc. (TMA) reached 34,465 units in November, higher than the 31,258 units sold in the same month last year.
The STAR/ File
Vehicle sales hit year-high in November
Louella Desiderio (The Philippine Star) - December 12, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Automotive assemblers in the country recorded their highest monthly sales for the year in November, rising 10 percent from the same month last year, due to strong demand for both passenger cars (PC) and commercial vehicles (CVs). 

Data released by the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines Inc. (CAMPI) showed combined sales with the Truck Manufacturers Association Inc. (TMA) reached 34,465 units in November, higher than the 31,258 units sold in the same month last year.

Total vehicle sales in November are also slightly higher than the previous monthly sales record for the year of 34,397 units achieved in October.

“The November sales performance is now recorded with the highest monthly sales for the industry so far this year. It is also the second successive month that CAMPI and TMA posted record-breaking sales, further reinforcing the upward trend the automotive industry is tracking toward the end of the year,” CAMPI said.

For the month of November, the group’s PC sales rose 3.8 percent to 9,551 units from 9,197 units a year ago.

CV sales also posted 12.9 percent growth to 24,914 units in November from the previous year’s 22,061 units.

For the January to November period, combined sales of CAMPI and TMA posted a 3.27 percent uptick to 336,226 units from 325,569 units last year.

The group’s PC sales grew slightly to 99,951 units as of end-November from 99,823 units a year ago.

CVs sold by the group also increased 4.7 percent to 236,275 units in the 11-month period from the previous year’s 225,746 units.

Ranking members based on sales performance, data showed Toyota Motor Philippines Corp. remained the top automotive firm in the country through its 43.47 percent market share in the January to November period.

Mitsubishi Motors Philippines Corp. ranked second with its 17.27 percent share, and Nissan Philippines Inc. was on third spot with an 11.88 percent share.

Ranking fourth and fifth were Suzuki Philippines Inc. and Ford Motor Co. Philippines Inc. with respective market shares of 6.56 percent and 5.85 percent.

CAMPI president Rommel Gutierrez said the automotive industry is optimistic the strong market demand seen in October and November would still be seen this month, amid continued sales promotions and positive economic outlook.

December is traditionally a strong month for the automotive industry as this is when exponential growth is seen every year.

“We are continuously working double time to achieve the industry’s overall sales target of 410,000 units which we believe remains achievable,” Gutierrez said.

CAMPI and TMA account for bulk or 89 percent of the industry target of 410,000 units for the year, while the Association of Vehicle Importers and Distributors Inc. holds the remaining 11 percent.

CAMPI CVS PC
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with