^

Entertainment

Vic Sotto on 'It's Showtime': 'Never naming sasabihing kaaway'

Kathleen A. Llemit - Philstar.com
Vic Sotto on 'It's Showtime': 'Never naming sasabihing kaaway'
Vic Sotto
The STAR / File

MANILA, Philippines — Now that he is a "senior," as he said, Vic Sotto is choosing his peace over social media noise that comes with his job.

Vic revealed that he is not updated with social media. 

"Alam mo, hindi kasi ako ma-social media e. Mga nadidinig-dinig ko lang pero part of the game. Kasama sa buhay 'yun e. 'Yun 'yung nagpapasaya ng araw-araw natin e. Mga manonood, mga magko-kontrahan. Kasama sa hanap-buhay 'yun e," the host said to members of the media, including Philstar.com, after his special birthday segment last Saturday held in TV5's Media Center in Mandaluyong. 

His "Eat Bulaga" has been in competition for ratings and views with "It's Showtime" for more than a decade.  

The TV host supported his long-time friend and fellow "Eat Bulaga" host Joey de Leon, who recently clarified about his remark that led some viewers interpreting it as pertaining to their rival show "It's Showtime." 

"Ay, hindi. Never, never. Never naming sasabihing kaaway," he said after the press asked him for a reaction to Joey's remark. 

"Katapat, kalaban, pero kaaway, iba 'yung kaaway namin. Alam n'yo na kung sino 'yun. Iba 'yung kaaway sa kalaban e. 'Yung kalaban, it could be a friendly competition, which has always been the case with 'Eat Bulaga' and 'Showtime.' Ilang taon na kami magkatapat. Mananalo kami, mananalo sila. 'Yun 'yung nagpapasaya ng tanghalian ng Pilipino e," Vic said. 

The two shows' airing has a storied history, with both of them finding slots or places in three of the country's major studios or networks. 

Last year, the hosts of "Eat Bulaga," which includes Vic, his brother Tito Sotto and Joey, parted ways with their long-time producer Television and Production Exponents Inc. (TAPE). This led them to switch networks from GMA-7, where they were a blocktimers for more than two decades, to TV5, starting with their first episode in July last year. 

"It's Showtime" considered TV5 its own home on free TV after ABS-CBN lost its franchise in 2020. It found its home on TV5, until its contract expired. Afterwards, it started airing on GMA-7's sister channel, GTV, in July last year. Last April 6, it occupied the slot vacated by TAPE's noontime show "Tahanang Pinakamasaya" on GMA-7. 

He was also told that Paolo Contis, one of the hosts of the short-lived "Tahanang Pinakamasaya," remarked that the actor-host was confident that Vic would greet him if their paths would cross. 

Vic confirmed he would and added, "Oo naman. Personally, naintindihan ko, trabaho lang 'yun. Pero 'yung kaaway, iba 'yun. Hindi ko babatiin 'yun." 

As a parting message to the bashers who continuously sow intrigues, Vic left them with a message in his signature humor. 

"Patuloy niyo lang 'yan para patuloy din ang pagsikat namin," he chuckled. 

"Hindi. Okay lang 'yun. Wala 'yun. Lilipas din 'yun. 'Yung mga troll na sinasabi, may panlaban doon: scroll. Scroll mo lang lahat 'yun. Balewala lahat 'yun," he said. 

RELATED: Joey de Leon clarifies 15-year remark: 'Hindi namin kaaway ang It's Showtime'

vuukle comment

EAT BULAGA

IT'S SHOWTIME

JOEY DE LEON

VIC SOTTO

Philstar
x
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Latest
abtest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with