^
MVP: Too early for expanded ABS-CBN, TV5 partnership
TV5 Network Inc. and Cignal TV chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan told The STAR that there are still many things to consider before an expanded partnership between the two networks, or more ABS-CBN shows airing on TV5, could happen.
STAR/ File

MVP: Too early for expanded ABS-CBN, TV5 partnership

Richmond Mercurio (The Philippine Star) - January 25, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Viewers expecting to see more of their favorite ABS-CBN shows airing on TV5 following the two networks’ recent collaboration may have to temper their expectations for the meantime.

TV5 Network Inc. and Cignal TV chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan told The STAR that there are still many things to consider before an expanded partnership between the two networks, or more ABS-CBN shows airing on TV5, could happen.

“Hence too early to give a clear picture,” Pangilinan said.

For now, the partnership between ABS-CBN and TV5 is only for the two programs announced last week.

ABS-CBN’s musical variety show “ASAP Natin ‘To” and “FPJ: Da King” started airing on TV5 yesterday.

TV5 and Cignal president and CEO Robert Galang said last week that collaboration between Cignal, TV5, Brightlight Productions, and ABS-CBN “marks the start of greater cooperation among our various industry players and begins a new era of partnership.”

Pangilinan earlier said that while TV5 is open to a block time deal with ABS-CBN, it is also cautious at the same time due to political considerations.

“Setting aside the politics, if they want to block time we are prepared to talk. We don’t have much entertainment content. It’s up to them. Of course politically, the President might say something so we are also reluctant,” the businessman told reporters in December 2019.

With ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal denied by lawmakers last year, Pangilinan said in July that employees who will be laid off were welcome to join TV5 as the network is revving up its entertainment content creation and would need creatives, talents, directors, scriptwriters, and cameramen.

ABS-CBN went off the air on May 5, 2020 in compliance with a cease and desist order issued by the National Telecommunications Commission following the expiration of the network’s franchise.

The House Committee on Legislative Franchises denied the network’s bid for a new franchise on July 10.

Since then, the broadcast giant has been syndicating its content through various streaming services and operate other businesses that do not require a legislative franchise, such as international licensing and distribution, digital, and cable TV.

In October last year, however, ABS-CBN was able to strike a deal with Zoe Broadcasting Network Inc. of Eddie Villanueva which enabled some of its entertainment shows to return to free TV through A2Z Channel 11.

ABS-CBN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with