Big Dome suspends staff over 'scalping' incident
AJ Bolando (The Philippine Star) - October 5, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines – The Araneta Coliseum and Tickenet released a statement Friday afternoon after UAAP fans went to social media to voice their sentiments following the alleged selling of tickets to a scalper.

“The Smart Araneta Coliseum and TicketNet management would like to thank the students for their vigilance in reporting the alleged scalping incident,” the statement read.

“We are coordinating with the local authorities in investigating this matter,” they added.

UST Medicine student Chrizeus Delton Batara on Thursday posted on his Facebook wall a photo of an alleged scalper and a staff of Araneta Coliseum and wrote his experience when he tried to purchase tickets for Saturday’s game.

Related article: UST, DLSU fans search for 'other' UAAP Finals tickets

“After mag-announce sa mga taong nakapila na wala nang kahit anong ticket, pumasok yung scalper sa loob ng ticket booth bumili ng sobrang daming tickets then nag-offer agad sa mga tao, bragging he has 25 pieces of patron tickets (selling) for 2500 each,” Batara said.

“I’m not against scalpers pero sana hindi sila yung priority na mabigyan at least makipag-compete naman sila sa mga nakapila for tickets,” he added.

The indoor multi-purpose sports arena management said that the staff captured in the photo was suspended while the investigation is ongoing.

“The staff in question has already been placed under preventive suspension pending investigation of this incident,” according to the statement.

The historic arena management added that they are coordinating with the authorities to prevent the scalpers from the area.

“We are also working closely with PNP Station 7 to go after the scalpers and to deploy more operatives in succeeding events at the Smart Araneta Coliseum to intensify the drive against scalping,” they said.

“Scalping is a crime in Quezon City and we fully support the drive against it.”

Meanwhile, the UAAP condemned the activity of scalpers as well as the people who are taking advantage and selling tickets on a higher price.

“The UAAP denounces the overpricing of tickets to Game Two of the UST-De La Salle championship showdown and fans are advised not to deal with scalpers. But fans should also realize Araneta Coliseum’s capacity—not everyone could enter the venue,” UAAP season 76 Secretary and Treasurer Malou Isip said.

“Our (UAAP) 80 percent ticker allotment were already divided and distributed to UST and De La Salle. Araneta Coliseum holds the remaining 20 percent of the tickets to be sold to the public at their outlets,” she added.

The game two between UST Growling Tigers and the DLSU Green Archers is scheduled Saturday at 3:30 p.m.

The Tigers are a win away from the championship, while the Archers are looking to force a rubber match.

ARANETA COLISEUM ARANETA COLISEUM AND TICKENET CHRIZEUS DELTON BATARA DE LA SALLE GAME TWO GREEN ARCHERS GROWLING TIGERS QUEZON CITY SMART ARANETA COLISEUM TICKETS
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with