AFP spokesman Maj. Gen. Edgard Arevalo said the shortlist of candidates was submitted to Malacañang through the Department of National Defense earlier this month.
Boy Santos, file
10 generals vie for top AFP post
Romina Cabrera (The Philippine Star) - July 13, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Ten generals are being considered to replace Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Felimon Santos Jr., who is set to retire next month.

AFP spokesman Maj. Gen. Edgard Arevalo said the shortlist of candidates was submitted to Malacañang through the Department of National Defense earlier this month.

“Those being eyed to replace General Santos include three-star generals, major service commanders and unified command chiefs,” Arevalo said over the weekend.

The AFP Board came up with the shortlist following deliberations, Arevalo said.

Santos is set to retire from the military on Aug. 4 when he reaches the age of 56.

Arevalo said it is the prerogative of President Duterte if he wants to extend Santos’ duty as the country is fighting the coronavirus pandemic.

“It’s the prerogative of the President. But as a matter of course, we conducted deliberations to submit the names based on their qualifications,” Arevalo said.

ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with