‘No pork scare in Pangasinan despite new ASF cases’
Eva Visperas (The Philippine Star) - January 25, 2020 - 12:00am

ROSALES,  Pangasinan, Philippines – The sale of pork has not been affected despite new cases of African swine fever (ASF) in two towns in Pangasinan, according to agricultural group Samahan ng Industriyang Agrikultura (SINAG).

“Unlike last year when people avoided eating pork and processed meat because of ASF, the information drive that the disease is not transferred to humans somehow allayed public fears,” Rosendo So, SINAG chairman, said.

So called on the public, particularly hog raisers, to immediately report swine deaths in their areas to prevent the spread of ASF and contain losses to the hog industry.

He said the compensation given to affected hog raisers was also a big help.

Hogs affected by ASF in Barangays Linoc, Poblacion, Canaoalan, Caloocan Sur and San Isidro Sur in Binmaley, which was placed under a state of calamity amid new cases, were recently culled. 

ASF-hit pigs in Barangays Apaya and Polong in Malasiqui were also culled while those in Barangay Carael in Dagupan City were quarantined as a precautionary measure.

Processed meat seized in Ilocos Sur

Meanwhile, at least 1,300 kilos of processed meat were seized at a quarantine checkpoint in Narvacan, Ilocos Sur on Thursday.

Police said truck driver Romel Milanez, 37, failed to present the necessary documents for the 217 meat packs that he was transporting.

Milanez was held at the Narvacan police for investigation.

The Ilocos Sur provincial government has imposed a ban on the entry of hogs and processed meat to contain ASF.   – With Raymund Catindig

ASF ROSENDO SO SINAG
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with