The Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed the incident based on a report by Philippine Ambassador to Wellington Jesus Domingo.
Philippine Embassy in New Zealand Facebook
2 Pinoys killed in New Zealand as train rams car
Pia Lee-Brago (The Philippine Star) - June 20, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Two Filipinos, who arrived in New Zealand just last week to work as fruit pickers, died while three others were injured in a car-and-train crash at a rural town near Bay of Plenty yesterday.

The Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed the incident based on a report by Philippine Ambassador to Wellington Jesus Domingo.

A report of the Filipino Times quoted Domingo as saying the Filipinos drove through a train crossing when it hit their car at Pongakawa School Road near Te Puke at around 8.15 a.m.

“They were on their way to work apparently. We are in touch with police, employers, relatives. We can’t release their names yet,” Domingo said. “There are no other information. They are all workers and adults.”

“Two of the five Filipinos passed away due to the accident, while three were injured,” the DFA said in a statement.

Domingo reported to the DFA that the Philippine embassy in Wellington is closely coordinating with authorities to ascertain the identities of the Filipinos and check their condition.

The embassy said it stands ready to provide the necessary assistance to the Filipinos and their families. 

2 PINOYS KILLED IN NEW ZEALAND JESUS DOMINGO
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with