^

Headlines

SC junks bid vs dynasties

Edu Punay - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines - The Supreme Court (SC) has junked with finality petitions filed by several groups seeking to stop political dynasties.

Court spokesman Theodore Te said that in a regular session last Tuesday, the SC justices voted to dismiss the separate appeals filed by independent senatorial candidate Ricardo Penson and a group led by former vice president Teofisto Guingona Jr.

Te said the motions for reconsideration were denied with finality since the issues raised by the petitioners were already resolved in the assailed rulings of the high court.

In their appeals, the groups again cited Article II Section 26 of the Constitution, which provides that “the State shall guarantee equal access to opportunities for public service and prohibit dynasties as may be defined by law.”

The petitioners argued Congress must enact an enabling law to implement the ban on political dynasties, saying this can only be done by a mandamus order from the SC.

But the high tribunal affirmed its earlier ruling, citing the lack of enabling law to implement the prohibition, and separation of powers of the judicial and legislative branches.

The SC also held that the issue is a “political question” that only Congress can address.

The high court had previously dismissed with finality a similar petition filed by taxpayer Louis Biraogo.

COURT DYNASTIES FILED FINALITY HIGH LOUIS BIRAOGO RICARDO PENSON SUPREME COURT TEOFISTO GUINGONA JR. THEODORE TE
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with