MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections, sitting as the National Board of Canvassers (NBOC), on Thursday proclaimed the 12 elected senators in the May 9 elections.
Five first-timers will occupy seats in the Senate - former TESDA Director General Joel Villanueva, boxing icon and Sarangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao, former PhilHealth Director Risa Hontiveros, Valenzuela Rep. Sherwin Gatchalian and former Justice Secretary Leila de Lima.
Meanwhile, four former senators will return in the upper House - former post-Yolanda rehabilitation czar Panfilo Lacson, Philippine Red Cross Chair Richard Gordon, former Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri and former food security czar Francis Pangilinan. Three senators will retain their seats in the Senate - Franklin Drilon, Vicente Sotto III and Ralph Recto.
The poll body proclaimed the 12 senators according to their rank in the recent polls:
12. Leila Norma Eulalia Josefa de Lima (Liberal Party)
11. Ralph Recto (Liberal Party)
10. Sherwin "Win" Gatchalian (Nationalist People's Coalition)
9. Francis "Kiko" Pangilinan (Liberal Party)
8. Ana Theresia "Risa" Hontiveros (Akbayan Citizens' Action Party)
7. Emmanuel "Manny" Pacquiao (United Nationalist Alliance)
6. Juan Miguel "Migz" Zubiri (Independent)
5. Richard "Dick" Gordon (Independent)
4. Panfilo "Ping" Lacson (Independent)
3. Vicente "Tito" Sotto III (Nationalist People's Coalition)
2. Emmanuel Joel Villanueva (Liberal Party)
1. Franklin Drilon (Liberal Party)
The poll body will also proclaim the elected party-list groups on Thursday evening.
On May 23, the House of Representatives and the Senate will convene and hold a joint session to start their work as NBOC for the canvassing of presidential and vice presidential votes.
LIVE updates: Proclamation of senators, party-lists
— Video by Efigenio Toledo IV; Infographic by Jonathan Asuncion