Detainees escape prison, arrested again hours later

Bryner L. Diaz (The Freeman) - July 14, 2016 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - Two detainees were arrested a few hours after they escaped from the Mabolo Police Station cell Wednesday dawn.

Jaymark Rosario, who was arrested for theft last July 5, escaped from prison yesterday dawn because he wanted to see his family. However, he was recaptured in the house of his grandparents in Lapu-Lapu City past 10 a.m. the same day.

Ramil Berden, who was arrested Tuesday night for possession of drug paraphernalia, followed Rosario in escaping from prison, but was recaptured by a team of officers past 6 a.m. in Barangay Luz, Cebu City.

Senior Inspector Homobuno Sayon, Mabolo Police Station chief, said Rosario was a security guard assigned in a pawnshop inside a mall in Banilad, Cebu City. He was arrested after he allegedly stole a P12,000 worth golden ring.

Sayon said Rosario first destroyed the lock of the male's detention cell and later destroyed the ceiling made of plywood.

He urged the detainees to escape with him but only Berden followed him.

The two reportedly stayed in the ceiling for 30 minutes before finding a way out through the back part of the station.

Police Office 3 Archiles Bacorta, said he conducted a headcount past 4 a.m. when he found out that the two were missing.  He said they immediately conducted an operation to recapture the prisoners.

Sayon said he dispatched different teams to look for the escapees.

"Bulag bulag ni atong gipalakaw aron madakpan dayon sila," Sayon said.

Two hours after, the police located Berden in Barangay Bario Luz.

To trace Rosario, Bacorta said they contacted the security agency he worked with and asked for references he put in his biodata for his possible location.

Rosario was later traced by Bacorta and Senior Police Office 1 Nestor Dacliso at the New Sangi Road in Lapu-Lapu City in the house of his grandparents.

He was still sleeping when the police reached the house and arrested him peacefully.

"Maayo gani wala ray resistance basin makasala pa hinoon mi," Bacorta said.

For his part, Sayon said he was asked by the chief of the Investigation and Detective Management Division of the Cebu City Police Office, Chief Inspector Ryan Devaras, to submit an explanation on the incident.

"Gipasubmit ta'g explanation sa hepe sa IDMB si Sir Devaras to sumbit sa explanation sila na unyay modetermine kun unsay liability," he added.  (FREEMAN)

  • Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with