^

Nation

10 cops axed for illegal arrest of 4 Chinese

Emmanuel Tupas, Nillicent Bautista - The Philippine Star
10 cops axed for illegal arrest of 4 Chinese

MANILA, Philippines — Ten policemen tagged in the allegedly unlawful arrest of four Chinese women in Parañaque City in September last year were dismissed from the service.

Maj. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr.  has ordered the dismissal of Lt. Col. Jolet Guevarra, Maj. Jason Quijana, Maj. John Patrick Magsalos, Capt. Sherwin Limbauan, Executive M/Sgt. Arsenio Valle, Staff Sergeants Mark Democrito, Danilo Desder Jr., Roy Pioquinto and Christian Corpuz and Cpl. Rexes Claveria, who were previously assigned with the Southern Police District (SPD).

In an order dated Feb. 13, Nartatez said the police officers were found guilty of grave misconduct, grave irregularity in the performance of duty, grave neglect of duty, conduct unbecoming of a police officer, less grave misconduct and less grave neglect of duty.

With their dismissal from the Philippine National Police, the men’s benefits, except for their leave credits, are forfeited. They are also prohibited from holding other government posts.

The police officers were implicated in an alleged anomalous raid on a condominium in Parañaque on Sept. 16, 2023 that led to the kidnapping of Chinese nationals Dang Lina, Hu Yi, Ling Langping and Lin Huanhuan.

The operation was based on search warrants for illegal possession of firearms and human trafficking.

A hearing on the case at the House of Representatives led to the detention of former SPD director Brig. Gen. Roderick Mariano and Col. Sharlie Cabradilla, the SPD’s former comptroller head, after lawmakers cited them in contempt for continuously lying.

There were allegations that the Chinese were victims of unlawful arrest, arbitrary detention and robbery.

According to Nartatez, the police officials took “with intent to gain” over P27 million worth of personal properties not subject to the search warrant and “deliberately” did not include them in the inventory.

Nartatez noted that the erring policemen also “intentionally planted” firearms to appear as recovered evidence, violated the limits set in the search warrant, made false statements under oath and obstructed justice by deactivating and destroying security and body-worn camera footage.

Nartatez said seven more police officers were demoted by one rank, nine were suspended for six months and eight suspended for less than 60 days for their involvement in the incident.

vuukle comment

COPS

Philstar
x
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with