^

Nation

Disqualified Albay governor told to vacate post

Robertzon Ramirez - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) ordered yesterday disqualified Albay Gov. Noel Rosal to vacate his post as it asked the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) to implement the writ of execution for his disqualification in the May 9 elections.

At a press conference, Comelec spokesman Rex Laudiangco said the writ of execution dated Nov. 28 was served to concerned parties at around 10:30 a.m. yesterday.

He said Albay Vice Gov. Edcel Greco Alexandre Lagman would take over Rosal’s post.

The ranking member of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan will take over Lagman’s post following the rule of succession.

Laudiangco said Rosal may seek a temporary restraining order (TRO) before the Supreme Court, but he has to vacate his post pending any order from the SC.

The TRO should be accompanied with a status quo ante order, Laudiangco said.

He said Rosal may also file for a petition for review and certiorari, but the Comelec ruling has to be implemented.

Rosal has 30 days upon receipt of the Comelec order to ask for the SC’s intervention, Laudiangco said.

On allegations that Rosal is being singled out, Laudiangco said the Comelec has given the disqualified governor’s camp enough time to seek legal remedies before the writ of execution was issued.

Rosal’s disqualification stemmed from allegations that he distributed financial assistance to tricycle drivers and senior citizens on March 31 and April 2 last year.

The Comelec had earlier ruled that the move was in violation of the 45-day public spending ban during elections.

COMELEC

DILG

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with