^

Nation

9 cops indicted over Calbayog mayor’s slay

Robertzon Ramirez - The Philippine Star
9 cops indicted over Calbayog mayorâs slay
Photo shows former Calbayog City Mayor Ronaldo Aquino. The post by the local government's city information office reads: "Requiescat in Pace Mayor Ronaldo Aquino."
Calbayog City Information Office on Facebook

MANILA, Philippines — Nine Philippine National Police (PNP) personnel have been charged in connection with the killing of Calbayog Mayor Ronaldo Aquino and his security escorts in March last year.

In a resolution dated Dec. 15, 2021, which was released on Wednesday, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said four counts of murder aside from frustrated murder would be filed against Lt. Col. Harry Villar Sucayre, team leader of the PNP’s Integrity Monitoring and Enforcement Group.

Maj. Shyrile Tan, Capt. Dino Goles, Lt. Julio Armeza Jr., Pat. Niño Salem, Cpl. Julius Garcia and S/Sgts. Edsel Omega, Neil Cebu and Randy Merelos were included in the charge sheets.

The DOJ said the charges would be filed before the Calbayog City regional trial court.

A panel of prosecutors found weight in the “positive assertions” of witnesses and evidence submitted by the National Bureau of Investigation on the “defenses of denial, alibi and self-defense” of the policemen, the DOJ said.

The supplemental complaint against Aquino’s son Ronald Mark and Cpl. Ramil Rosales were dismissed.

Aquino was on his way to attend the birthday party of his son when they were ambushed on Labuyo bridge.

One of his escorts was wounded while two police officers were also killed when Aquino and his companions returned fire.

MAYOR

PNP

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with