^

Nation

Kids below 15 banned in Cebu groceries, supermarkets

Mary Ruth R. Malinao - The Philippine Star

CEBU, Philippines — Children aged 15 and below are not allowed to enter supermarkets and grocery stores in Cebu City starting on Monday.

“Establishments may consider dedicating a well-ventilated space as a safe waiting area for minors below 15 years while their guardians or parents shop,” according to a memorandum issued yesterday signed by acting Mayor Donaldo Hontiveros, Councilor and Emergency Operations Center (EOC) chief Joel Garganera and Business Permit and Licensing Office head Jared Limquiaco.

”For children who are unvaccinated and unprotected, this place is not safe for them,” Garganera said.

City government officials stressed the need to implement additional measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as the volume of shoppers is expected to increase during the holiday season.

The memorandum was issued following a meeting of city government officials and Department of Health-Central Visayas chief pathologist Mary Jean Loreche on Wednesday night and with representatives of grocery and supermarket owners yesterday.

The city health office said 4,224 minors aged 12 to 17 have received their first dose of COVID vaccine as of Wednesday.

The Cebu City police had earlier recommended to the EOC to bar children 11 years old and below from entering business establishments, including malls.

City police chief Lt. Col. Wilbert Parilla noted that many children especially toddlers refuse to wear face masks.

President Duterte had called on local government units to pass ordinances restricting the entry of unvaccinated minors to malls. – /The Freeman

CHILDREN

SUPERMARKET

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with