Caloocan barangay, hospital under lockdown
Rey Galupo (The Philippine Star) - August 1, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Caloocan Mayor Oscar Malapitan yesterday placed a barangay and a city-run hospital under total lockdown following a surge in COVID-19 cases.

In a statement, Malapitan said 28 residents of Barangay 142 in Bagong Barrio were found to be positive for COVID-19.

The total lockdown started at 12:01 a.m. today and will end at 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 7.

Last week, Malapitan ordered the lockdown of Barangays 95 and 97 hours after the city social welfare department completed the distribution of food packs to some 2,900 residents.

“Like the other barangays that were placed under lockdown, we will not neglect our residents. They will receive food packs and will be closely monitored by the city government,” he told The STAR.

Malapitan said he has directed the city police to provide security while health workers conduct contact tracing and testing of residents.

He said Barangay 132, also located in Bagong Barrio, will be placed under lockdown on Aug. 2 following reports of a surge in COVID-19 cases.

As of July 30, Caloocan has recorded 2,738 cases, with 1,526 recoveries and 116 deaths.

Malapitan also ordered the total lockdown of the Caloocan City Medical Center (CCMC)-South after 61 of its personnel and medical staff tested positive for COVID-19.

The hospital was placed under lockdown on July 17 after 42 personnel tested positive for the virus. It reopened on July 23.

The hospital will be closed from today until Aug. 14, but services and medical attention of patients who have been admitted will continue.

Included in the lockdown is the hospital’s emergency room, but the outpatient department will continue to function at the old city hall plaza and the CCMC-North along A. Mabini Street in District 2.

The CCMC-North is at “overflowing capacity” for COVID-19 patients, officials said.

In Manila, Mayor Isko Moreno yesterday ordered a two-day total lockdown in Barangay 815 in Paco starting today following reports of an increase in COVID-19 cases in the area.

Only medical health workers and other frontliners who are residents of Barangay 815 will be allowed to travel during the lockdown.

OSCAR MALAPITAN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with