^

Headlines

Warrant out for suspect in anti-Asian hate crime

Pia Lee Brago - The Philippine Star
Warrant out for suspect in anti-Asian hate crime
An ABS-CBN report said the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office confirmed that an arrest warrant was issued against suspect Nicholas Weber.
STAR / File

MANILA, Philippines — An arrest warrant was issued against a man who mocked and physically attacked a Filipino family at a fastfood outlet’s parking lot in North Hollywood, California last month.

An ABS-CBN report said the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office confirmed that an arrest warrant was issued against suspect Nicholas Weber.

The Los Angeles District Attorney’s office is in touch with the lawyers for the victims, the Roque family.

Weber faces felony and misdemeanor battery charges, both with hate crime enhancements.

In cellphone videos taken of the incident, it was apparent that the Filipino family was a victim of another hate crime.

The report on the incident said it happened on May 13 and began at the drive-thru around 10 p.m. when the suspect’s jeep bumped the family car of victim Patricia Roque.

Her family was verbally attacked and threatened by Weber after telling them they were “so Asian.”

Nerissa, Patricia’s mother, narrated that her husband Gabriel arrived in the area, but Weber rushed to him and punched him as he fell to the ground.

The attack left her husband with a broken rib. Nerissa, who came to her husband’s aid, was allegedly strangled by the suspect.

HATE CRIME

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with