In a statement, the DOT said it is aware of a resolution calling for the implementation of a curfew in Metro Manila.
AFP/Maria Tan/File
DOT urges LGUs to clarify curfew guidelines
Catherine Talavera (The Philippine Star) - March 15, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Tourism (DOT) is urging local government units (LGUs) to clarify the curfew guidelines for the benefit of tourism stakeholders and the public.

In a statement, the DOT said it is aware of a resolution calling for the implementation of a curfew in Metro Manila.

“Inasmuch as this curfew will be implemented by Metro Manila LGUs through the issuance of their respective ordinances, the DOT is respectfully requesting the LGUs to clarify the guidelines of the curfew so that public and tourism stakeholders are guided accordingly and that the best interests of everyone concerned are considered,” the DOT said.

On Saturday, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said it would be implementing an 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew for Metro Manila starting today, coinciding with the month-long community quarantine on Metro Manila amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.

“We urge the LGUs to possibly consider that establishments, such as but not limited to restaurants, hotels, groceries, convenience stores and drugstores, which operate longer than the recommended curfew period, be allowed to operate on a limited scale, as this is to the public’s interest,” the DOT said.

“These establishments must be given sufficient lead time to prepare their personnel as well,” the agency added.

The DOT said earlier that it is ready to work with stakeholders and LGUs for the orderly implementation of President Duterte’s recent directives regarding COVID-19.

On Thursday, Duterte raised Metro Manila’s COVID-19 alert to Code Red Sublevel 2, which calls for the limiting of travel in and out of the National Capital Region from March 15 to April 14.

“The DOT will continue to monitor tourism establishments around the country to ensure that the proper safety protocols and precautionary measures are implemented,” Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said.

“We also underscore our earlier pronouncements to the public to practice proper hygiene and etiquette as advised by the DOH (Department of Health),” she added.

CURFEW
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with