Phl gov't granted access to detained Filipinos in Sabah
Rosalinda L. Orosa (The Philippine Star) - March 22, 2013 - 9:00pm

MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) - The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said today that Malaysia has granted the Philippine government's request to have access to all detained Filipinos in Sabah, including the eight who have been charged with terrorism-related offenses.

DFA Spokesman Raul Hernandez said the Malaysian Foreign Ministry sent a note verbale on March 20 to inform the Philippine government that eight Filipinos who are part of an armed group that entered Sabah last month have been charged for "waging war against Malaysia's king" and for "committing acts of terror."

The diplomatic note also informed the Philippine embassy in Kuala Lumpur that consular access to the eight Filipinos and those who have been detained for investigations under relevant Malaysian laws will be granted in accordance with the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.

Hernandez said Malaysia will advise the Philippine embassy on the procedures for consular access.
 

CONSULAR RELATIONS DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS HERNANDEZ KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY PHILIPPINE SABAH SPOKESMAN RAUL HERNANDEZ VIENNA CONVENTION XINHUA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with