Dangerous Drugs Board calls for creation of special drug courts
() - January 18, 2010 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - The Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) yesterday reiterated its appeal for the creation of special criminal courts for drug-related cases in the Philippines to speed up the process of convicting drug lords and shabu laboratory operators.

DDB vice chairperson Paul Oaminal said special drug courts will ensure the speedy resolution of drug-related cases such as the case of the financier of the biggest clandestine shabu laboratory in Asia that was dismantled in Cebu in 2004.

The Cebu mega shabu laboratory was dismantled on Sept. 24, 2004 where 1.1 ton of dangerous drugs and chemicals was seized by the narcotics authorities.

Days later, the suspected financier of the mega shabu lab was arrested by customs and excise authorities of Hong Kong when the latter was about to flee to Macau.

Several months after, he was extradited from Hong Kong to the Philippines to face trial together with nine other foreign nationals.

Oaminal said the trial’s slow process shows how ordinary criminal courts are unable to prioritize cases involving big-time drug offenders.

He and former DDB chairman Vicente Sotto III attended the hearing of the mega shabu laboratory case before Branch 28 of the regional trial court (RTC) of Mandaue City last week only to be dismayed at how it was simply reset to a later date. – Michael Punongbayan

CEBU DRUG DRUGS BOARD HONG KONG MACAU MANDAUE CITY MICHAEL PUNONGBAYAN OAMINAL PAUL OAMINAL SHABU VICENTE SOTTO
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with