^
Manila resumes food aid distribution
City hall workers unload food boxes distributed to qualified beneficiaries in Manila yesterday.
STAR/File

Manila resumes food aid distribution

(The Philippine Star) - April 9, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Manila city government has resumed the distribution of food boxes to around 700,000 families in 896 barangays, marking the third straight month of continued assistance to residents affected by the pandemic.

The assistance is under the local government’s COVID-19 food security program (FSP).

Each food box contains three kilos of rice, 16 canned goods and eight sachets of coffee.

Mayor Isko Moreno said the food assistance would greatly help Manileños while the city is under the enhanced community quarantine.

“We initiated the program to cushion the socioeconomic impact of the pandemic. Nagkataon na nag-impose ng ECQ in Metro Manila kaya timing naman,” Moreno said.

City hall launched the FSP in February.

Moreno said they realigned the city’s 2021 budget for road works and other infrastructure to fund the program.

Initially, P3 billion had been allocated for the program. The city council approved an ordinance last March and allotted an additional funding of P1.427 billion.

“Some sacrifices had to be made. Please bear with us for the potholes in Manila. Pero huwag nating intindihin ang kalsada. Ang importante ay ‘yung bituka. No one will go hungry in Manila,” Moreno said.

FOOD BOX
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with