Under the policy, set to be implemented this month, only vehicles with two or more passengers would have the privilege to traverse EDSA during rush hour.
File
Motorist group pitches alternative to driver-only cars ban on EDSA
(Philstar.com) - August 8, 2018 - 6:32pm

MANILA, Philippines — Automobile Association Philippines President Gus Lagman on Wednesday expressed concern over the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority’s plan to prohibit private vehicles with only one person inside during rush hours on EDSA in a bid to ease traffic.

“The problem of traffic is serious, we really have to think of drastic solutions to solve the problem,” Lagman told ANC in an interview.

“While I agree we clear some lanes, I don't quite agree that those with only one person in the vehicle should be banned completely on EDSA,” he added.

“I heard earlier that 60-70 percent of vehicles that pass along EDSA have only one person in the vehicle; it should at least clear one lane, and that should be good. The only problem is enforcement. The devil is in the details,” he continued.

MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia said the policy was approved by the Metro Manila Council, composed of the metropolis’ mayors, during a meeting yesterday.

Under the policy, set to be implemented this month, only vehicles with two or more passengers would have the privilege to traverse EDSA, Garcia said.                        

EDSA EDSA DRIVER-ONLY CARS BAN METRO MANILA MMDA
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with