Shellfish ban in 5 Negros areas lifted
Danny B. Dangcalan (The Philippine Star) - January 9, 2016 - 9:00am

BACOLOD CITY, Philippines – The provincial government of Negros Occidental on Friday lifted the shellfish ban it earlier imposed on four cities and a town due to the proliferation of algae that produce the red tide toxin.

In a memorandum, Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr. said residents of Bacolod, Silay, Victorias and Cadiz cities, and E.B. Magalona town may now harvest shellfish and acetes in their coastal waters.

Authorities first discovered the proliferation of the red tide-producing algae in these areas last month.

The memorandum was based on the recommendations of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR), which said the level of red tide toxin in these areas have dropped.

Although laboratory results released by the provincial maritime bio-toxin testing center showed the coastal waters in these areas still contain the algae, the level is below the regulatory limit.

The BFAR central office in Manila confirmed the findings of the laboratory tests conducted on the water samples collected in these areas.

The provincial government said it would continue to monitor the coastal waters in the five areas.

ALFREDO MARA ALGAE AREAS ATILDE BACOLOD BUREAU OF FISHERIES AND AQUATIC RESOURCES COASTAL MAGALONA NEGROS OCCIDENTAL SILAY VICTORIAS AND CADIZ
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with