^
Historical site markers at Philippines envoyâs residence unveiled
From left, US State Department Philippine Desk official Brian Frere, Philippine Ambassador to the US Jose Manuel Romualdez, Consul General Jose Victor Chan-Gonzaga and former head of the Philippine National Commission on Culture and Arts national committee on monuments and sites Ivan Henares pose at the unveiling of the Filipino and English versions of the historical markers for the Ambassador’s Residence.
STAR/File

Historical site markers at Philippines envoy’s residence unveiled

(The Philippine Star) - June 23, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine Ambassador to the US Jose Manuel Romualdez has unveiled the National Historical Markers from the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) for the official residence of the Philippine ambassador to the United States.

The unveiling is of deep significance and importance as it coincides with the 75th anniversary of the formal establishment of diplomatic relations between the Philippines and United States.

The ambassador was joined by consul general Jose Victor Chan-Gonzaga, US State Department Philippine desk officials Brian Frere and James Shea, and former head of the Philippine National Commission on Culture and Arts national committee on monuments and sites Ivan Henares during the unveiling ceremony.

“It is clear that the relationship between our two countries will always be of manifest importance then and now. We have shared values, a shared history and a long-standing friendship…seeing how far the Philippines has come, insights can be drawn for forging ahead into the future. We will endure, we will not waver and we will toil as those who came before us did, in fighting for democracy, for freedom, for prosperity, for social justice.” said Romualdez.

The ambassador also shared that “63 years ago, Presidents Carlos Garcia and Dwight Eisenhower signed a joint communique embodying Philippine-American friendship and mutual goodwill at the Filipiniana Room just a few steps from where we are today.”

The installation of national historical markers for the official residence of the Philippine ambassador to the United States was approved by the NHCP last May 10. The cast iron marker will be installed on the residence’s façade within the year.

The residence was designed by Waddy B. Wood and built in 1904 by William Lipscomb and Company for Retired General and Mrs. Charles L. Fitzhugh. In 1913, Philippine Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon had the opportunity to visit and was impressed by the structure and design of the house.

In 1946, the house was acquired by the first Philippine ambassador to the United States Joaquin Elizalde. In 1949, the Philippine government bought the property from the Elizaldes. Since then, it has been the official residence of succeeding Philippine ambassadors to the United States.

HISTORICAL
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with