^
Drug war, lotto games suspended
The Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office has also announced the suspension of all Lotto, Keno and other digit games nationwide in light of the enhanced community quarantine.
STAR/Geremy Pintolo/File

Drug war, lotto games suspended

Neil Jayson Servallos (The Philippine Star) - March 18, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Metro Manila police have suspended operations against illegal drugs as they turn their focus on implementing measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said yesterday.

“For now, there will be no Oplan Tokhang. We already momentarily silenced that because we are focused on implementing the quarantine,” NCRPO chief Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas said at a briefing yesterday.

Sinas also expressed confidence that drug dealers would be unable to run full-scale operations as  the COVID-19 threat remains high and the government is strictly enforcing enhanced community quarantine.

Oplan Tokhang has been sidetracked since the community quarantine began last March 15, according to the NCRPO.

Citing data, Sinas said crime rates have dropped dramatically since the implementation of quarantine this year, compared to last year’s figure.

“Because if you’re outside your home, you can get your supply (of drugs) easier than if you’re inside your house,” he said in Filipino.

Without specifying, the NCRPO chief said other specialized police operations have been suspended until further notice.

Lotto suspended

The Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) has also announced the suspension of all Lotto, Keno and other digit games nationwide in light of the enhanced community quarantine.

The PCSO board agreed to suspend lotto operations starting 4 p.m. on Tuesday to ensure the health and welfare of its employees, agents and players nationwide.

Also suspended are small town lottery operations in Luzon.

Meanwhile, President Duterte has allayed concerns that the community quarantine is martial law in disguise.

The sight of fully armed soldiers and policemen enforcing travel restrictions may be unnerving to many, but the public need not worry as the government is just implementing enhanced community quarantine in Luzon to contain COVID 19, according to Duterte. –  With Christina Mendez, Alexis Romero, Janvic Mateo, Edu Punay

DRUG WAR PCSO
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with