Senate President Vicente Sotto III said the savings could help fund the construction of hospitals, schools and other infrastructure programs.
File
Early retirement seen to curb bloated bureaucracy
Cecille Suerte Felipe (The Philippine Star) - July 22, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Offering early retirement to qualified government employees could save the country’s coffers at least P1 trillion and right-size the bureaucracy, whose maintenance and other operating expenses amount to 65 percent of the annual national budget.

Senate President Vicente Sotto III said the savings could help fund the construction of hospitals, schools and other infrastructure programs.

“I want the Senate to prioritize right-sizing in the government sector because the bureaucracy is bloated. We can accommodate new departments afterward,” Sotto said in English and Filipino in an interview over dzBB.

Of the P3.757-trillion budget for this year, Sotto said, 65 percent would go to maintenance and other operating expenses while the remaining 35 percent will be used for programs and projects as well as cover debt servicing measures.

“I have pushed for right-sizing measures. The government should aim for the early retirement program where those who would retire can get lump sums, which they can use for their own business,” he said.

President Duterte mentioned in his State of the Nation Address last year that right-sizing measures would eliminate redundant, duplicate and overlapping functions in offices and improve public service delivery.

BUREAUCRACY EARLY RETIREMENT
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with