P170-B ill-gotten wealth recovered from Marcoses, cronies
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - February 24, 2016 - 9:00am

MANILA, Philippines – The Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) said it has recovered over P170 billion worth of ill-gotten wealth from the family of dictator Ferdinand Marcos and his cronies from 1986 to 2015.

In an infographic released in time for the 30th anniversary of the EDSA people power revolution today, the PCGG said almost P94 billion was remitted to the national treasury and another P76 billion identified as escrow funds.

“The PCGG is mandated to prosecute and litigate cases involving the recovery of Marcos’ and his cronies’ ill-gotten wealth and investigate such cases of graft and corruption,” said the agency, which was created by former President Corazon Aquino when she assumed office in 1986.

“The recovered assets are deposited at the Bureau of Treasury for the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program,” it added.

The biggest assets recovered by the agency include the Swiss bank deposits of the Marcoses worth over P35 billion and the proceeds from the sale of Philippine Telecommunications Investment Corp. shares worth over P25 billion.

The government recently bared plans to auction the Marcos jewelry collections valued at over P1 billion.

It is also seeking public support in its search of missing artworks that were allegedly part of the ill-gotten wealth of the Marcos family.

Called the Missing Art Movement, the portal (http://missingart.ph) contains the “Portraits of Corruption,” a gallery of missing artworks that were supposedly purchased by the Marcoses using people’s money.

“The commission remains unwavering in accomplishing its mandate of recovering all ill-gotten wealth of the Marcoses and returning the same to its real owners,” PCGG chairman Richard Amurao said.

Never forget

In an earlier statement, the PCGG refuted claims of vice presidential bet Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. that he is no longer involved in the cases filed by the government against him and his family.

The agency said court records would show that Marcos Jr. is even the signatory in some of the pleadings.

“It would be untrue to claim that his family has stopped participating in said court cases,” said PCGG. “In fact, the Marcos family has been active in appealing to the Supreme Court various decisions which were ruled against them.”

The statement was released hours before the official start of the campaign period earlier this month.

Marcos is running for vice president alongside Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago. Recent surveys place him tied at first place with Sen. Francis Escudero.

The PCGG said Marcos, in various interviews, appeared to be distancing himself from the cases involving the ill-gotten wealth allegedly amassed by his family during the dictatorship.

But the agency said Marcos and his mother, former first lady and Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Marcos, filed separate petitions before the Supreme Court (SC) when the Sandiganbayan forfeited to the government the so-called Arelma funds amounting to $42 million.

PCGG also said the Marcoses filed motions over decisions on the Malacañang jewelry collection of Imelda and the issuance of a writ of attachment against the million-dollar paintings supposedly in possession of the Marcoses.

“Instances such as these debunk the senator’s continuous denial of his knowledge of the actions being undertaken by his lawyers,” said PCGG.

Marcos is running a rather popular campaign, with his supporters highlighting the supposed achievements of his father during his rule.

Critics, however, slam the senator for failing to recognize and apologize for the atrocities committed during the martial law era.

  • Latest
  • Trending
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with