Firecracker injuries reach 81

Mayen Jaymalin (The Philippine Star) - December 27, 2015 - 9:00am

MANILA, Philippines - The number of firecracker-related injuries nationwide has reached 81, the Department of Health (DOH) reported yesterday.

In its “Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction 2015” report, the DOH Epidemiology Bureau said the latest figure was 59 percent lower compared to the same period last year.

Metro Manila accounted for most of the injuries or 28.35 percent of the total recorded cases.

A majority or 68 cases involved male victims whose ages ranged from one to 52 years.

About 75 cases resulted in hand injuries while nine suffered eye injury.

According to the DOH, 65 of the victims were active igniters while 61 sustained injuries caused by piccolo.

No new case of stray bullet injury or firecracker ingestion was reported by the different DOH-retained hospitals yesterday.

Malacañang also appealed to the public again to avoid using firecrackers in celebrating New Year’s Eve but instead follow the safety guidelines set by the DOH to achieve zero casualty as Filipinos welcome 2016.

Press Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. urged parents to heed the call of the DOH, which recently launched the program “Tetano: Nakamamatay, Huwag Pasaway. Sa Paputok May Goodbye” where people are advised to use safer alternatives to firecrackers in celebrating the New Year.

Coloma said trumpets, music, kitchen utensils could be used during street parties.

The Philippine National Police is coordinating with the Department of Trade and Industry and the Department of the Interior and Local Government to stop the sale of illegal firecrackers to reduce the number of victims.

The DOH has declared a Code White Alert since Dec. 21 – the highest alert level in the department – as government hospitals prepare for the surge of patients who need immediate medical attention due to inadvertent use of firecrackers.

Among the firecracker victims are two persons hurt while celebrating Christmas Eve in Caraga region.

Christian Jay Alba, 15, of Barangay Bag-ong Lungsod, Tandag City lighted a super lolo firecracker that exploded in his hands.

Another victim was identified as Lolita Azura, 43, of Barangay Bading, Butuan City who was hurt when she was hit by a piccolo as several children played with firecrackers near the victim’s house.

Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. reminded citizens to avoid using firecrackers and guns in welcoming the New Year.

“It is alarming that this early incidents of firecracker-related injuries and from stray bullets are starting to increase,” Marcos said.

He urged the people to use alternative methods of welcoming the New Year instead of firecrackers that have caused death and fires. With Delon Porcalla, Christina Mendez, Ben Serrano

ACIRC BARANGAY BADING BARANGAY BAG BEN SERRANO BUTUAN CITY CHRISTIAN JAY ALBA CHRISTINA MENDEZ CHRISTMAS EVE CODE WHITE ALERT DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH NEW YEAR
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with