(UPDATE) Government admits difficulty in passing BBL after deadly clash
Rosalinda L. Orosa (The Philippine Star) - February 15, 2015 - 10:00am

MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) - The Philippine government said yesterday that it was hard to pass the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) after a deadly clash in the southern Philippine province of Maguindanao that left 44 policemen dead.

"It's very difficult right now to discuss the Bangsamoro Basic Law given the emphasis on the investigation and inquiry on the Mamasapano incident," said presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda in an interview with a state-run radio.

"But I do hope that as we continue to seek accountability, let us not lose focus on the importance of finding a peaceful solution ... let's not stop on our focus to have just and lasting peace in Mindanao," he said.

At least 44 commandos of the Special Action Force of the Philippines National Police were killed in Mamasapano town on Jan. 25 when they clashed with the alleged members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

The Senate and the House of Representatives have suspended deliberation on the proposed BBL, which will serve as the organic law of the envisaged Bangsamoro autonomous government in the Muslim majority south.

The passage of the BBL is part of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro that the Aquino administration and the MILF signed in March last year.


 

AQUINO BANGSAMORO BANGSAMORO BASIC LAW BANGSAMORO ISLAMIC FREEDOM FIGHTERS BUT I COMPREHENSIVE AGREEMENT EDWIN LACIERDA MAMASAPANO MORO ISLAMIC LIBERATION FRONT SENATE AND THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES SPECIAL ACTION FORCE OF THE PHILIPPINES NATIONAL POLICE
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with