Sinulog spectators advised to behave
(The Freeman) - January 5, 2016 - 9:00am

CEBU, Philippines – “Let us make Sinulog fun, enjoyable but wholesome.”

This was the appeal of Sinulog Foundation Inc. executive director Ricky Ballesteros for all spectators of the Sinulog Grand Parade, as he asked that they behave since the Sinulog is also a religious celebration at the same time.

To help achieve this, establishments located along the grand parade route that want to hold street parties would not be given permits.

This was decided upon after SFI saw photos that circulated on social media last year of young people who seemed drunk lying on the ground.

To avoid the same incident, Ballesteros said there will be Kaohsiung buses that will be used as temporary detention cells for drunk people caught along the route during the festivity.

Ballesteros said the foundation will still meet with the Philippine National Police to discuss the number of buses that will be used and where they would be stationed.

Even away from the grand parade carousel route, establishments that want to hold street parties should still get a permit from the Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council and an endorsement from SFI.

When asked why a permit is needed, he said City Hall requires it.

As of now, Ballesteros said, SFI has rejected application for permits to hold street parties from four to five establishments that are located along the carousel route.

He said they will never grant permits so that the sanctity of the celebration will be maintained.

“We only disallow street parties along the parade route. They can hold street parties outside the carousel route. That is the essence of the festival,” he said.

As to the problem on order and safety especially on crowd control, Ballesteros said they would ask for more police visibility aside from hiring marshals.

Meanwhile, Ballesteros invited the public to witness the Sinulog launching on Friday, with this year’s celebration themed “Sinulog goes global.”

He said 16 contingents from different Cebu City colleges and universities will participate in the launching.

The dancers, he said, would be wearing the traditional costumes of different countries that are part of the 51st International Eucharistic Congress the week after the Sinulog Grand Parade. — Jean Marvette A. Demecillo/RHM (FREEMAN)

ACIRC BALLESTEROS CEBU CITY CEBU CITY DISASTER RISK REDUCTION MANAGEMENT COUNCIL CITY HALL INTERNATIONAL EUCHARISTIC CONGRESS JEAN MARVETTE A PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE RICKY BALLESTEROS SINULOG SINULOG GRAND PARADE
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with