^
Former world champ Povetkin retires after struggle with COVID-19
Russia's Alexander Povetkin takes part in a joint press conference with Britain's Anthony Joshua at Wembley stadium in London on September 20, 2018 ahead of the title defense boxing match on Saturday.
Tolga Akmen/AFP

Former world champ Povetkin retires after struggle with COVID-19

(Agence France-Presse) - June 14, 2021 - 2:06am

MOSCOW – Former world heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin said on Sunday (Monday, Manila time) that he was ending his career because he needed time to fully recover from coronavirus.

"I am no longer young. I have decided to end my career," the 41-year-old, who held the WBA regular title from 2011-13 and also won gold in the super-heavyweight class at the 2004 Olympics, told the TASS news agency.

Povetkin was WBC interim heavyweight champion from 2020 until March this year when he lost on a TKO to Briton Dillian Whyte in Gibraltar.

Povetkin said he had been ill with COVID-19 and that he "needs a lot of treatment after the coronavirus".

"It will take a long time, and I am not 20 years old anymore," he said.

He said the illness had made it hard for him to train or fight.

"I feel as if I am drunk," he said.

Povetkin finishes his professional career with a record of 36 wins (including 25 knockouts), three losses and one draw. 

BOXING
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with