^

PNP negotiating cops’ surrender over Jolo slay

Neil Jayson Servallos (The Philippine Star) - January 26, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police is negotiating for the surrender of nine dismissed PNP members accused of killing four Army intelligence officers in Jolo, Sulu last year.

Although a manhunt is ongoing, PNP chief Gen. Debold Sinas said the PNP would welcome their surrender.

“We are negotiating, for those who want to surrender. We assure them of their safety,” Sinas told journalists yesterday.

The nine were released from police custody after no court warrants were issued for their arrest, reportedly because of a lockdown in Sulu over the possible entry of the COVID variant from Sabah.

Sinas dismissed the accused from the service. He said they were reported to have gone home to Jolo.

After arrest warrants were issued, the PNP sent tracker teams composed of personnel from the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, Intelligence Group and Bangsamoro region police to Jolo.

The nine are accused of killing Army intelligence officers Maj. Arvin Indamog, Capt. Irwin Managuelod, Sgt. Eric Velasco and Cpl. Abdal Asula, who were gathering leads on the activities of the Abu Sayyaf in Barangay Mauboh, Patikul town.

The local police reported that the Army officers were killed in a misencounter.

The military decried the incident, saying it was murder.

PNP
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with