Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, Western Mindanao Command chief, said the bombers, who have yet to be identified, are plotting to attack key military installations in the province.
File
AFP hunting down 2 suicide bombers in Sulu
Jaime Laude (The Philippine Star) - September 11, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Government security forces are working around the clock to prevent two suicide bombers, who were trapped in Sulu, from escaping.

Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, Western Mindanao Command chief, said the bombers, who have yet to be identified, are plotting to attack key military installations in the province.

“As per our monitoring, they’re contained in Sulu... we are not giving them any opportunity to escape,” Sobejana said.

He said ground security have been beefed up to secure military installations in the province.

“We are closely guarding all possible exit points as we intensify our manhunt operations,” Sobejana said.

He said the two suicide bombers are among the five recruited by Abu Sayyaf bandits.

Sobejana said three died in suicide bombings in Sulu and Basilan.

Two suicide attacks targeted the Army’s headquarters in Indanan on June 28. One of the bombers was identified as 19-year-old Filipino Norman Lasuca. The identity of the other bomber has yet to be ascertained.

An Army checkpoint in Lamitan, Basilan was targeted by a suicide bomber, believed to be a Moroccan, in July last year.

Earlier this year, an Indonesian couple blew themselves up in front of the Mt. Carmel Cathedral in Jolo. 

On Sunday, a foreign-looking woman detonated a bomb attached to her body near a military checkpoint in Barangay Kajatian also in Indanan. Her head and face were blown to pieces.

DNA test

Philippine National Police chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde said the PNP Crime Laboratory took DNA samples of the suicide bomber.

“The result will come out probably in three days to one week,” Albayalde said.

However, the PNP said identifying the suspect is a difficult task unless they could get DNA samples from her relative.

PNP offers help

The PNP said it would also help the military track down the remaining suicide bombers in Mindanao.

Albayalde ordered the police Intelligence Group to coordinate its efforts with the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

“Yung intelligence fusion, usually ang involved dyan is the intelligence community,” he told a press conference at Camp Crame.

Meanwhile, presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said President Duterte is concerned over reports that terrorist groups in Mindanao are using suicide bombers.

”Anything that will show a rise in terrorism in any area... is always a matter of concern... We hope our security will improve... to stop this,” Panelo said. – With Emmanuel Tupas, Christina Mendez

SUICIDE BOMBING
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with