Transport groups in Baguio City also held jeepney strike on Monday, October 16. Artemio Dulao, The Philippine Star

Gov't deploys 54 vehicles in Metro Manila for jeepney strike
(philstar.com) - October 16, 2017 - 5:24am

MANILA, Philippines—The government has deployed a total of 54 vehicles to help ferry commuters affected by a transport strike by jeepney operators on Monday.

The Department of Transportation said in a statement that 35 city buses were “engaged by the LTFRB to aid commuters affected by the transport strike in Metro Manila.”

The Metro Manila Development Authority meanwhile provided four military trucks, four buses, four vans and four service vehicles to help commuters.

A joint task force of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, for its part, deployed 15 military trucks.

The Philippine Coast Guard has meanwhile deployed 12 light trucks and four military trucks while another four shuttle buses and a service vehicle were provided by the Department of Public Works and Highways.

Transport groups set a two-day nationwide strike to protest the public vehicle modernization program. They said jeepneys would be phased out and operators and drivers would be forced to buy more expensive vehicles  should the government proceed with rolling out the program.

Malacañang on Sunday announced the suspension of work in government offices and classes in both public and private schools nationwide in anticipation of the strike.

Affected jeepney routes

According to the Southern Police District, 14 jeepney routes in its are of operations were affected by the transport strike, as of 10:00 a.m.:

  • Ayala to Makati Loop
  • Makati to Pateros
  • Alphaland to Gate 3
  • PRC to Magallanes
  • Bel-Air to Washington
  • Ayala Washington
  • Guadalupe to Washington
  • Guadalupe to PRC
  • Guadalupe to Delpan
  • Evangelista to Libertad
  • Guadalupe To L Guinto
  • Guadalupe to FTI
  • Guadalupe to Cartimar
  • Evacom, Parañaque to Bgry. San Dionisio

According to Pinagkaisahang Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Operator Nationwide, or PISTON, initial ground reports per Public Utility Jeepney route as of 9:30 a.m. on Monday, reported 100 percent "paralysis" in the following routes:

  • All of Makati
  • MCU-Sta. Cruz, Manila
  • Pasay-Pier
  • Novaliches-Malinta via Gen. Luis
  • Malabon-Navotas-Monumento
  • Sucat-Evacom
  • Pampanga (San, Fernando, Guagua, Bacolor, Mexico, Arayat, Angeles City, Macabebe, Masantol, Minalin)

The group also reported that jeepney routes in Rizal province also recorded 95 percent paralysis, while there is 90 percent paralysis in Marikina and 95 percent in Laguna.

No data on affected commuters yet

The government, however, has yet to release data on how many commuters have been affected by the strike.

This, despite several clarificatory statements on the transport strike—including an infographic comparing the proposed modern jeepneys and the old PUVs—made by the Department of Transportation on its Facebook page.

Asked for data on affected passengers, the DoTr referred Philstar.com to the MMDA.

The MMDA, when asked, said DoTr would have the data on affected passengers.

Transport Secretary Arthur Tugade was also asked for comment but has yet to reply as of posting.

On Sunday, Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board Member Aileen Lizada, also its spokesperson, said that they had received reports that the transport strike is allegedly part of a plot to destablize the government. The same board had downplayed a transport strike last month saying most transport groups support the jeepney modernization program.

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with