Terrorism, extortion eyed in Zambo bus explosion
Roel Pareño (Philstar.com) - September 19, 2015 - 2:26am

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines - Police authorities are eyeing terrorism and extortion in the bomb attack that left a student killed and 33 others injured on Friday in the downtown of this city.

The city government issued a bounty of P 200,000 for any information leading to the arrest of bombing suspects.

Chief Superintendent Miguel Antonio, Police Regional Office 9 (PRO) director, said the management of D’ Biel Bus company received a death threat.

Antonio directed a joint police intelligence to help in the investigation that could lead to the identification and arrest of the suspects behind the bombing incident.

Other security officials believed that extortion is unlikely the motive since the bomb explosion was designed to inflict harm on a large number of civilians.

“Terrorist attack always aims to inflict and harm a large number of civilian target to sow terror and fear and to get world attention,” according to a security official, who asked not to be named as he is not authorized to make a public statement.

The official said the motive of the bombing attack might have other larger implication than mere extortion activity of a criminal group.

Post blast investigation disclosed the type of bomb used in the attack could be similar to the bomb found in a massage parlor and videoke bar in November last year that injured a member of the bomb squad.

Chief Inspector Rhean Loyd Bato, chief of the City Police Office Bomb Squad, said they have not recovered any traces of bomb shrapnel or ball bearings and concrete nails, which were normally used by terrorist to enhance casualty effect.

He said all recovered pieces of evidence were turned over to the police crime laboratory for processing to determine the type of explosive used.

The lone fatality was identified as Fatima Alifara Imbraida, 14, a native of Sibuco town, Zamboanga del Norte. Police said the victim was wearing a college uniform.

The city health office said that of the 33 injured victims, at least three were described to be in serious condition, nine less serious and 21 others slightly injured.

Police authorities are also reviewing the footage captured by a closed-circuit television (CCTV) to unmask the suspect.

 

 

BIEL BUS BOMB CHIEF INSPECTOR RHEAN LOYD BATO CHIEF SUPERINTENDENT MIGUEL ANTONIO CITY POLICE OFFICE BOMB SQUAD FATIMA ALIFARA IMBRAIDA NORTE POLICE POLICE REGIONAL OFFICE SIBUCO ZAMBOANGA
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with