NPA hampering 'Pablo' relief efforts - military
Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) - December 14, 2012 - 7:16pm

MANILA, Philippines - The military on Friday accused the New People’s Army (NPA) of hampering humanitarian efforts in areas hit by typhoon “Pablo.”

The Army said a group affiliated with the rebels tried to intercept soldiers who were about to deliver goods to typhoon victims in Talaingod, Davao del Norte last week.

Lt. Col. Lyndon Paniza, spokesman of the Army’s 10th division, said the soldiers were members of the 60th battalion tasked to assist typhoon victims in Sitio Banoog in barangay Sto. Niño.

“Members of the 60th Infantry Battalion were fired upon at the outreach station in said village”, Paniza said in a statement.

He said the attack had transpired despite the 29-day ceasefire declared by communist rebels in typhoon-stricken areas.

The National Democratic Front (NDF) in Mindanao declared a unilateral ceasefire that started on December 5 until January 3 to enable its fighters to assist the typhoon victims.

The NDF also urged the state forces to refrain from using the relief efforts to conduct offensives against the NPA.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) also accused the rebels of trying to kill a soldier and abducting his two daughters in San Isidro, Davao del Norte last Sunday.

AFP spokesman Col. Arnulfo Burgos Jr. said Pfc. Lito Mansaluon was on his way back to his detachment on board a motorcycle with his children and another civilian when he was flagged down by suspected rebels.

Burgos said the suspected rebels took Mansaluon’s children as hostages. The children were freed after two hours through the help of local tribal leaders.

“The AFP condemned these atrocities perpetrated by the NPA especially at the time when our soldiers are conducting rescue and relief missions to aid the typhoon victims,” Burgos said.

“The recent violent incidents did not only complicate ongoing humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations in the calamity-affected areas but also put the lives of innocent civilians in danger,” he added.

AFP chief Gen. Jessie Dellosa called on the rebels to adhere to the ceasefire they declared.

“Pronouncements of ceasefire demands commitment hence the NPA must be sincere and should translate that into actions. It is not for publicity or lip service,” he said.

ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES ARNULFO BURGOS JR. BURGOS DAVAO INFANTRY BATTALION JESSIE DELLOSA LITO MANSALUON LYNDON PANIZA NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC FRONT NEW PEOPLE NORTE
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with