Oban not keen on PAF units' transfer

- Ding Cervantes () - May 7, 2012 - 12:00am

CLARK FREEPORT, Pampanga, Philippines – Former Armed Forces chief Eduardo Oban Jr., now the chairman of the Clark Development Corp. (CDC), has expressed reluctance in moving out six major units of the Philippine Air Force (PAF) from this freeport.     

The PAF, under an annually renewable contract between the Department of National Defense and the Bases Conversion Development Authority, occupies over 300 hectares of this 4,400-hectare freeport which is reportedly running short of space for local and foreign investors.

In a press briefing here last Thursday, Oban said transferring the PAF units from here to Basa Air Base in Floridablanca, Pampanga was estimated to cost about P9.9 billion in 2006 when it was decided upon.

But Oban said such a move “should be dictated by the security environment.”     

“In 2006 when I was commander of Basa Air Base, former President Arroyo asked me to design a plan to move all Air Force units from Clark to Basa. Even at that time, the estimated cost was already P9.9 billion to cover cost of transfer and the replication of facilities at Clark, including housing,” he said.   

Oban, who retired last December as Armed Forces chief of staff, was appointed by President Aquino last month as CDC chairman and officer-in-charge.

AIR FORCE ARMED FORCES BASA AIR BASE BUT OBAN CLARK DEVELOPMENT CORP DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENSE AND THE BASES CONVERSION DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY EDUARDO OBAN JR. FORMER ARMED FORCES PAMPANGA PHILIPPINE AIR FORCE
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with