Former presidential aide and now Sen. Christopher Go said over the weekend that Duterte is planning to go to China this month to meet with Xi and to watch the FIBA World Cup.
File
Duterte, Xi may discuss Recto Bank incident
Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) - August 5, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte and Chinese President Xi Jinping may discuss the Recto Bank incident during their meeting in China this month, Malacañang said yesterday.

Former presidential aide and now Sen. Christopher Go said over the weekend that Duterte is planning to go to China this month to meet with Xi and to watch the FIBA World Cup. The trip would provide the President an opportunity to relax, a source told The STAR in a recent interview.

If the trip pushes through, it would be Duterte’s fifth visit to China since he became president in 2016.

Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said details of the trip are still being arranged.

“Perhaps all problems, including topics on trade relations, cultural exchanges, people-to-people… the assistance they provide and the assistance we need,” Panelo said in a radio interview when asked whether the Recto Bank and Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal incidents would be tackled during Duterte’s meeting with Xi.

Pressed if Duterte would discuss the Philippines’ diplomatic protest over the Recto Bank incident with Xi, Panelo replied: “Perhaps. All issues may be discussed.”

Last June, Filipino fishing boat Gemver sank after it was hit by a Chinese trawler near Recto Bank, an area within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ).

The crew of the Chinese vessel supposedly abandoned the 22 Filipino crewmembers after the incident, prompting the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to file a diplomatic protest.

The Chinese embassy statement has claimed there were seven to eight Filipino vessels in the area where the incident happened. It has also denied abandoning the 22 Filipino fishermen, saying the captain of the Chinese ship tried to help them but was afraid of being swarmed by other Filipino boats.

Duterte, who was accused by critics of being too soft on China, has downplayed the Recto Bank incident as a “little maritime accident.” He has also claimed the incident did not constitute an attack on Philippine sovereignty.

Panelo said there was no word yet from the DFA yet on whether China has responded to the Philippines’ diplomatic protest.

Duterte has also revealed that he and Xi have forged a fishing deal that allowed China to fish in the EEZ and granted Filipino fishermen access to Panatag Shoal. The shoal is located off Zambales and is within the Philippines’ EEZ but has been under China’s control since 2012.

Last week, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana described China’s takeover of Panatag Shoal as “bullying.”

CHINA RECTO BANK INCIDENT XI JINPING
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with