In this May 2018 photo, Philippine and Kuwaiti officials sign a memorandum of understanding for the protection of Filipino domestic workers.
DFA/Released, File
Philippines mulls review of MOU with Kuwait after Filipina's death
(Philstar.com) - May 20, 2019 - 8:37pm

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine government is willing to review its agreement with Kuwait following the death of a Filipina worker in the Gulf state.

In May 2018, the Philippines and Kuwait signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on the employment of domestic workes, which sought to protect Filipino workers there.

The agreement requires the two countries to uphold ethical recruitment policies, systems, and procedures for the recruitment and employment of domestic workers subject to their laws and regulations.

It also enjoins the two countries to take legal action against erring employers and requires employers to provide food, housing and clothing to their workers.

Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said there is a need to review the MOU with Kuwait as there has been a breach in the agreement after the death of an OFW at the hands of her employer.

The worker, identified as Constancia Lago Dayag of Agadanan, Isabela died this week after suffering various contusions and hematoma. 

The 47-year old household service worker was rushed to the Al Sabah Hospital but died on the way. There were also indications that Dayag was sexually abused before she died, according to the Labor department. 

"He's (Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III) putting the government of Kuwait to task for the murder of a [Filipino]. He is investigating it and the DFA is waiting for an autopsy report," Panelo said in a press briefing Monday.

The DFA said the Philippine Embassy is working with Kuwaiti authorities to investigate the death of the Filipina, who was deployed as a household service worker to Kuwait in January 2016 and returned in 2018 for a second contract with her employer.

In February last year, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered a ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait after the discovery of the body of 29-year-old Joanna Demafelis inside a freezer in the country's Al Shaab dsitrict.

Kuwait expelled Philippine Ambassador Renato Villa in April last year over reports of Philippine Embassy staff to rescuing distressed Filipino domestic workers from their employers' home.

Duterte lifted the deployment ban to Kuwait in May last year after the MOU was signed between the two countries. — Patricia Lourdes Viray and The STAR/Alexis Romero

KUWAIT OVERSEAS FILIPINO WORKERS
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with