He issued the statement to explain Duterte’s giving the US another tongue-lashing in a speech at a military camp in Davao City on Thursday. The President was reacting to US officials’ warning of serious repercussions if the Philippines pushes through with its planned weapons deal with Russia.
Presidential Photo/Albert Alcain
Duterte not threatened by US sanction over submarine deal
Christina Mendez (The Philippine Star) - August 25, 2018 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — In castigating the United States, President Duterte simply wants to drive home a point that he would not be threatened by any possible sanction for dealing with Russia regarding a planned purchase of a submarine and other military hardware as part of the modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said yesterday.

He issued the statement to explain Duterte’s giving the US another tongue-lashing in a speech at a military camp in Davao City on Thursday. The President was reacting to US officials’ warning of serious repercussions if the Philippines pushes through with its planned weapons deal with Russia.

Roque said the President could just be asking for the US to show goodwill and stronger assurances of its strong partnership with the Philippines.

“The President said we do not need M14 because we will not be waging war with China. What we need are propeller planes so that we can use them against the enemies of the state including the terrorists,” he said.

In remarks before soldiers and officers in Davao City, Duterte revealed having received a letter from the US Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross, Secretary of Defense James Mattis and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, which reaffirmed the US’ “strongest support” for AFP modernization.

Roque explained that arm-twisting strategies would not help the US in convincing Duterte to rethink the plan to purchase weapons and equipment from Russia, China or any other country the US considers not very friendly.

“I think, the US also wants to sell (to the Philippines). But there are other ways to do that without resorting to force. I think the President will resist if that is their sales tactic for us,” he said.

“The President’s concern is why a law in the US will be imposed against the Philippines when it is entering an agreement with Russia, which is outside US jurisdiction,” he said.

“The sale will be made outside of the United States and no American will be involved in the sale, why are they forcing to impose their laws on us when we are a free and sovereign nation,” he said.

The other day, Duterte raised the issue regarding the Philippines’ plan in May last year to buy 26,000 assault rifles getting blocked by some US lawmakers who cited human rights concerns. This prompted the President to call off the procurement.

Duterte on Thursday asked the US to show goodwill and to make sure that future deals would not suffer the same fate.

ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES RODRIGO DUTERTE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with