Palace blasts Binay, Marcos on poverty, dynasties, Mamasapano
Louis Bacani (Philstar.com) - September 16, 2015 - 5:11am

MANILA, Philippines - Malacañang on Wednesday lashed back at two of the staunchest critics of the administration, Vice President Jejomar Binay and Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda responded to Binay's newest tirade that the Aquino administration's leadership has worsened poverty incidence in the country.

Lacierda cited the achievements of the government's Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) program, which is now helping 20 million people, up from 800,000.

"Talagang hindi ho siya nagbabasa ng poverty incidence po natin," Lacierda said.

He said the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank also attested to the success of the CCT.

Lacierda said the Aquino administration alone cannot end poverty incidence in the country but the government continues to improve the lives of the poor.

"Poverty incidence in this country has gone down. So it's a continuous work in progress of resolving poverty situation in the country. We are not saying in six years it will be resolved, it won't. But we are in the track of resolving and reducing poverty," he said.

The Palace also criticized Binay for insisting that political dynasties are not bad.

Lacierda said it was only logical for Binay to defend political dynasties since his three children are also in government.

"Iba ang paniniwala natin na, the evil that is sought to be remedied is far worse than some politicians who have carried a good name for themselves," Lacierda said.

"Better to remedy the situation of political dynasties and that's the reason why the President is in agreement that he believes that the Anti-Dynasty Bill should pass. So we have a whale of difference in that," he added.

As for Marcos, the Palace hit back at the senator for alleging that the investigation of the alternative version of the Mamasapano incident is just Aquino's scheme to cover up his culpability.

Lacierda said Marcos should not politicize the issue.

"Ano ba naman ito si Bongbong Marcos, pinupulitika ang isang bagay na [hindi dapat i-politicize]," Lacierda said.

"May alternative version daw, 'yan po ay vina-validate ngayon, so huwag nating i-pulitika ‘yan. Let’s wait for the validation that is forthcoming," he added.

In a media forum last week, Aquino revealed that there is an alternative version of events in the Mamasapano incident that left 44 Special Action Force (SAF) troopers dead.

Aquino said this version is "undergoing very intense scrutiny" and that the government is looking for witnesses who could prove or disprove "certain observations."

He said over 100 people will be indicted over the killing of the SAF commandos who had an encounter with members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front during an anti-terror operation in January.

In an interview with reporters on Monday, Aquino said the "alternative version" being pursued may also be "totally false."

ANTI-DYNASTY BILL AQUINO BINAY BONGBONG MARCOS CONDITIONAL CASH TRANSFER FERDINAND MARCOS JR. LACIERDA MAMASAPANO MORO ISLAMIC LIBERATION FRONT PRESIDENTIAL SPOKESPERSON EDWIN LACIERDA QUOT
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with