Suselbeck asks for forgiveness, seeks return to Phl
Rudy Santos (The Philippine Star) - November 2, 2014 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines – While awaiting his flight back to Germany yesterday, Marc Suselbeck begged for forgiveness from Philippine authorities and asked that he be allowed to return and visit the grave of his fiancé Jeffrey “Jennifer” Laude, who was killed last month allegedly by a US Marine.

“If what I did in this country is wrong, I just wanted to say I am sorry I wasn’t aware of political issue and I apologize and should not have taken part in it,” Suselbeck said.

“I really learned my lesson but please I beg you, don’t bar me from returning to your country, don’t take me away from Jenniffer and don’t take me away from the trial,” he said. He was referring to the possible trial for murder of US Marine Pfc. Joseph Scott Pemberton, who is being held for Laude’s death.

Suselbeck arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 at around 1:45 p.m. for his 3:30 p.m. flight to Germany via Taipei on China Airlines. He was accompanied by Laude’s mother Julita and sister Marilou.

Lawyers Harry Roque and Vergie Suarez arrived at the NAIA ahead of Suselbeck to brief media regarding the latter’s voluntary deportation. They declared the “fight is not yet over.”

After giving his statement, Susuelbeck was escorted to his flight by two immigration officers.

NAIA terminal 1 immigration head supervisor Doris Abrazaldo said that under Immigration Administrative Circular 2014-001, a foreign national tagged as an “undesirable alien” is barred from entering the country for at least five years or depending on the discretion of the Immigration commissioner.

Laude was to celebrate his 27th birthday on Tuesday.

Suselbeck wants to return to the country on March 13, the supposed date of his wedding to Laude. “Now I will no longer be able to come back. I will miss Jennifer,” he said.

Suselbeck tearfully embraced lawyers Suarez and Roque, Marilou and Julita before making his way to the departure area escorted by immigration agents.

Suselbeck was originally scheduled to depart for Germany last Oct. 23 but was prevented from doing so after being made to account for violating security rules at Camp Aguinaldo. Suselbeck and Laude’s sister Marilou  scaled a fence around a compound at the camp where Pemberton was supposedly being held. They said they wanted to check if Pemberton was really detained in the compound. The German was seen on TV shoving a soldier who was trying to stop him.

The military requested BI to blacklist Suselbeck after the incident.

Suselbeck said he had to go back to Germany before Nov. 3 or lose his job.

Meanwhile, the Armed Forces of the Philippines said it is not threatening Roque with disbarment but is just trying to teach him a lesson.

“We are not threatening him with disbarment. We want him to know that his misbehavior inside the camp is not expected of a lawyer who must uphold the law,” AFP Pubic Affairs Office chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said.

“Atty. Roque must set the good example to other Filipino citizens who might want to visit military camps,” Cabunoc said. – With Jaime Laude

 

 

ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES CAMP AGUINALDO CHINA AIRLINES DORIS ABRAZALDO HAROLD CABUNOC IMMIGRATION ADMINISTRATIVE CIRCULAR JENNIFER JOSEPH SCOTT PEMBERTON LAUDE SUSELBECK
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with