Mañalac dares Petralba to a debate

() - November 20, 2009 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - After filing a case for insubordination against provincial prosecutor Pepita Jane Petralba last week for not complying with his memo to have his cubicles cleaned, the controversial state prosecutor Vicente Mañalac yesterday made another “hilarious” move that made him and the office he represent a laughing stock of the lawyers and the public in general.

Instead of resolving cases and appearing before the court to represent the state, Mañalac used up government time to distribute and stick an open letter he prepared challenging Petralba to a debate.

Let us debate or hold an open forum before judges, prosecutors and fellow attorneys on all matters of public importance and allow them to question us,” the letter reads.

Mañalac proposed that the debate will be held at the session hall of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines shortly after Petralba's arrival from Hongkong. He said he will debate with Petralba anytime with Atty. Democrito Barcenas as moderator.

Some of the lawyers who have read the letter posted by Mañalac could not help but laugh, while others commented why he continue to be in the prosecution service.

Mañalac likewise issued another memorandum directing Petralba to cease and desist from implementing her previous memorandum that ordered him to vacate his unused cubicle.

He quoted the case of assistant Cebu City prosecutor Rosendo Brillantes wherein the latter was convicted over the loss of an evidence inside his cubicle. Mañalac said Petralba should not tinker on his cubicle to protect the integrity of the records and documents allegedly he keeps inside.

Besides, he added that the issue was already brought to the attention of the Secretary of Justice to which the Office of the Ombudsman referred his complaint. Mañalac earlier charged Petralba with insubordination for not complying with his memorandum to have his cubicle cleaned.

Early on, Petralba ordered him to vacate the cubicle which he actually did not use for the two newly appointed prosecutors to use it.

For his part, Regional State Prosecutor Fernando Gubalane yesterday refused to meddle in the rift between Mañalac and Petralba, saying what they have is for them to fix as long as it does not affect their duties.

Petralba, who left for Hongkong yesterday, said that she will take actions when she comes back and will seek investigation on the alleged “illegal transactions” allegedly perpetrated by Mañalac using the name of the provincial prosecutor’s office. – Fred P. Languido and Jasmin R. Uy/WAB   (FREEMAN NEWS)

 

ALAC CEBU CITY DEMOCRITO BARCENAS FRED P INTEGRATED BAR OF THE PHILIPPINES LANGUIDO AND JASMIN R NTILDE OFFICE OF THE OMBUDSMAN PEPITA JANE PETRALBA PETRALBA REGIONAL STATE PROSECUTOR FERNANDO GUBALANE
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with