In a statement, the Department of Transportation said it is now pushing for the development of other airports particularly San Miguel Holdings Corp.’s proposal to build a new airport in Bulacan and offers to upgrade the Sangley airport in Cavite.
AFP/File
DOTr: Bulacan, Sangley airports ‘now being prioritized’
(Philstar.com) - August 24, 2018 - 3:44pm

MANILA, Philippines — At least two airport development projects are now “being prioritized,” the Department of Transportation said Friday, amid calls on the government to fast-track the approval of offers from the private sector to build and operate more gateways outside the capital to decongest the aging Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

In a statement, the DOTr said it is now pushing for the development of other airports particularly San Miguel Holdings Corp.’s proposal to build a new airport in Bulacan and an offer to upgrade the Sangley airport in Cavite.

“The idea of having multiple airports is something that the world’s biggest economies do. Ideally, there should be a train service linking these airports, which is also being pursued by the government,” Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said.

“This complementation strategy was already part of the air transport roadmap from day one, and rest assured, that’s what we are going to do,” Tugade added. 

SMHC’s P735.63-billion “aerotropolis” proposal involves the construction of a terminal, parallel runways and an airport toll road.

Last April, the National Economic Development Authority Board approved SMHC’s unsolicited proposal to build an airport in Bulacan subject to resolution of pending issues, including a submission of “Joint and Several Liability” agreement by SMHC and its parent company San Miguel Corp.

After submitting the revised concession agreement and the risk allocation matrix, the NEDA and the Department of Finance forwarded their comments last August 9, and are now under consideration of SMHC.

“After which, the DOTr will commence negotiations with SMHC to finalize the draft Concession Agreement and submit the same to NEDA ICC (Investment Coordination Committee), and finally begin the Swiss Challenge process,” the DOTr explained.

The DOTr also welcomed the proposal of the Provincial Government of Cavite to develop the Sangley Airport  “The approval process, however, will be defined after the Cavite [local government unit] has determined the legal framework for its implementation,” it said.

The DOTr’s statement came days after Chinese plane Xiamen Airlines Boeing 737 skidded onto the grass and blocked the NAIA runway last week, prompting the cancelation of around 165 international and local flights. Operations resumed on Saturday, but some had criticized the perceived slowness in the recovery of the disabled Chinese aircraft.

Seeing the deterioration of the Manila airport, the Duterte administration has been entertaining proposals to rehabilitate NAIA and build more provincial airports. — Ian Nicolas Cigaral

ARTHUR TUGADE BUILD BUILD BUILD BULACAN AIRPORT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION SANGLEY AIRPORT
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with