Department of Public Works and Highways-7 Project Engineer Roy Dela Cruz told The FREEMAN that the contractor WT Construction Inc. (WTCI) is now working on the minor activities for the completion of the project.
Freeman Photo
DPWH: Underpass to open June 15
Odessa O. Leyson (The Freeman) - May 30, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — After a year and 10 months of bracing the horrendous traffic in Cebu City’s south district, the public can already heave a sigh of relief when the underpass project along N. Bacalso Avenue will open by June 15.

Department of Public Works and Highways-7 Project Engineer Roy Dela Cruz told The FREEMAN that the contractor WT Construction Inc. (WTCI) is now working on the minor activities for the completion of the project.

“Ang mga curves atong i-paint, ang atong thermoplastic sa center line atong buhaton, unya pump room tiwason pero gamay nalang,” Dela Cruz said yesterday.

Last week, the workers had completed the concreting of the pavement, confident that the underpass project will be operational by June 15 as committed by the contractor based on the contract time.

Dela Cruz said it is a good development that WTCI is on track with the construction for they did not record any damages.

Before the official opening of the new road infrastructure in the south district, they will allot time for the curing period and for the final inspection of the facility.

The quality assurance unit (QAU) of DPWH-7 will check whether or not the underpass is constructed based on its design and other related factors.

If during the inspection period, QAU identified minor slippage, the contractor will be given a time to correct it.

“Quality assurance unit, mao’y mo-check ana for minor defects, ipa-correct sa contractor before mo-open, dali rana. mga one hour or two hours ang recommendation wala pata kibaw,” Dela Cruz said.

Once it’s done, the DPWH-7 will be meeting up with the Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) to discuss possible new traffic scheme in the area.

The DPWH-7 and CCTO will set schedule for the dry run before the private vehicles can utilize the underpass.

Dela Cruz also said that they will hold an inaugural ceremony of the underpass project which will be attended by the city officials, DPWH-7 heads, CCTO, and other concerned offices.

In August 2017, the WTCI started the construction of the P638-million underpass project which hampers the traffic flow in the main thoroughfares of the south district.

Since then, the public utility jeepneys (PUJs) are temporarily utilizing the side roads and smaller access roads such as Ganciang Street, Caimito Street, Tagunol Street, F. Llamas Street and others.

All buses and mini buses were diverted to the Cebu South Coastal Road (CSCR).

The monstrous traffic usually occurs during peak hours which is from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. (FREEMAN)

UNDERPASS
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with