Lawyer Prince Robles, chief of Investigation and Intelligence Division of RIAS-7, said the cases had something to do with Bontuyan’s “questionable wealth” as reflected in his Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth.
File
Slain policeman had ‘unexplained wealth’
Mae Clydyl L. Avila (The Freeman) - May 24, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — The Regional Internal Affairs Service-7 revealed yesterday that the slain Police Captain Delfin Bontuyan was facing six counts of dishonesty charge before the Office of the Ombudsman.

Lawyer Prince Robles, chief of Investigation and Intelligence Division of RIAS-7, said the cases had something to do with Bontuyan’s “questionable wealth” as reflected in his Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth.

“Our records showed that there were six counts of cases for dishonesty. I cannot give the categorical answer (as to what these cases are), but it has to do with the SALN,” Robles told reporters.

He explained that the cases were filed in December 2016 by RIAS-7, an independent body which conducts moto propio investigation against erring cops.

Incidentally, it was also in 2016 when Bontuyan was transferred from the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-7 to Jolo, Sulu where he served as a station commander.

Robles said that even before President Rodrigo Duterte assumed office, a list of erring cops was presented to RIAS-7 as part of the Philippine National Police’s internal cleansing. Bontuyan’s name was on the list, he said.

In January this year, separate documents containing names of cops allegedly involved in misconduct were sent to RIAS-7 from its head office in Manila.

The documents, which still needed verification, also included the file of Bontuyan. Robles, however, did not disclose further details.

Robles also said that a board will determine if Bontuyan or his family is still eligible to receive full benefits.

“There is a line of duty board which will determine if a police officer died in line of duty. If not in line of duty, the family will not receive benefits, except for leave credits. But the family will receive benefits if in line of duty,” he said.

Police Regional Office-7 director, Brigadier General Debold Sinas, said that the PRO-7 is not part of the board, only the police in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, which was Bontuyan’s last assignment.

Sinas added that they will give all possible help to PRO-ARMM to help solve the case.

He also said that he is not prohibiting cops from visiting Bontuyan’s wake since no actual evidence came up to show he was indeed involved in illegal drugs.

Sinas earlier said Bontuyan was on the list of erring cops for alleged involvement in illegal drugs, but he clarified yesterday that even if a cop is on the list, evidence is still needed to prove these allegations.

For instance, he cited the case of SPO2 Adonis Dumpit, who was shot and killed during a drug sting by the National Bureau of Investigation in Bohol, in June last year.

“It’s not within my power this time, unlike ka Dumpit na sting operation with NBI-7. Kini, he was shot. More on intelligence reports ni, and no solid evidence,” Sinas said.

Sinas said that aside from drugs, investigation is also leaning on Bontuyan’s work as a policeman as another motive to his killing.

Bontuyan was driving his motorcycle from a court hearing at the North Reclamation Area in Cebu City last Tuesday when he was shot dead by assailants on board two motorcycles.

The shots rang just when the traffic light turned green at the intersection of Pope John Paul II Avenue and A. Soriano Street, a stone’s throw away from the Mabolo Police Station. —  JMD (FREEMAN)

CRIME UNEXPLAINED WEALTH
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with