CH bonus out on Friday

Jean Marvette A. Demecillo/FPL (The Freeman) - December 8, 2015 - 9:00am

CEBU, Philippines - Cebu City Hall officials and employees are expected to receive their P30,000 cash incentive on Friday following the approval by City Council of the over P200 million supplemental budget last Monday.

Neil Odchigue, executive assistant of the mayor, is looking forward to receiving the amount, which he described to be the biggest so far, since his employment at the City Hall more than two years ago.

“This has been the biggest incentive I got from the city government,” he said, adding that he will have 10 percent of his share for charity works.

Despite the opposition by at least four members of the City Council, the P30,000 cash incentive for each officials and employees was passed. Councilors Alvin Dizon and Mary Ann delos Santos would have wanted to reduce the amount to P10,000. The two abstained from voting for the approval of the P201 million SB-2.

Councilors Margarita Osmeña and Lea Japson also wanted to reduce the amount but eventually voted to pass the budget.

Odchigue said he understood the point of some City Councilors but argued that they deserve the incentive because they worked for it.

“I understand the point why they are saying that it is quiet extravagant. But, come to think of it that the city has garnered more than what is expected of it in terms of performance-based and all of these are collectively done by the employees abiding to the mandate of the present administration,” Odchigue said, adding that the city government was awarded third most competitive urbanized cities in the country besting the other cities. There were 144 cities participated in the competition.

Odchigue said the employees were not given their Charter Day bonus as well as the Productivity Enhancement Incentive given by the national government.

The employees’ PEI was held hostage because of the deadlock in the SB-1, which has been shelved by the City Council because of a case filed in court questioning the use of the sale of the South Road Properties.

The proceeds in the sale of the SRP lots have been identified as source of fund of the P2.8 billion SB-1.

City Treasurer Diwa Cuevas said the bonus will be released on Friday. She said the financial assistance for the senior citizens and persons with disabilities is also up for release next week.

Meanwhile, City Administrator Dr. Lucelle Mercado has resigned to the fact that the controversial SB-1 will no longer be passed due to lack of time. Mercado said there is only one more session left before Christmas which should be devoted already to discuss the 2016 Annual Budget.

“The SB-1 is only up to this year unya there is only one session left. We will use that to discuss the annual budget kay mo end na man sad ang tuig. They are working on it na so it will be discussed,” she said.

The civil case filed by Romulo Torres has stalled the discussion of the SB-1. Although the case was already dismissed by the court but the complainant has asked for reconsideration. — (FREEMAN)

ACIRC ANNUAL BUDGET CEBU CITY HALL CHARTER DAY CITY CITY COUNCIL CITY COUNCILORS CITY HALL CITY TREASURER DIWA CUEVAS COUNCILORS ALVIN DIZON AND MARY ANN ODCHIGUE
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with