School moves to original site after landslide
Jean Marvette A. Demecillo/JMO (The Freeman) - August 17, 2015 - 10:00am

CEBU, Philippines- The Busay Elementary School, which was occupying Barangay Busay’s sports complex will have to move back to its original location following a minor landslide at the complex’ location yesterday.

No one was hurt but the landslide nearly covered the complex’ retaining wall.

Classes were being held at the complex temporarily.

“Walay maahimo, balik napod mi sa old nga skwelahan, maanan nalang ang mga teachers and students aning balhin-balhin,” said the school principal, Phamela Oliva.

 A year ago, the school’s students, parents, and teachers thought that the sports complex would be “safer” compared to the original site, which sits on a landslide prone area, as declared by Mines and Geosciences Bureau.

The original site is just a few meters away from the sports complex.

Starting yesterday, classes were suspended until the original site will be ready for occupancy.

Oliva said they are eyeing to resume the classes on Thursday, but would implement emergency classes to cater all 13 classes.

With the landslide incident yesterday, Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council wants to recommend for the city to declare a state of emergency.

“Disrupted gyod ang class kay hadlok gyod mi nga mo-bigay ang pader. Among gipatan-aw sa among disaster coordinator kay nangatagak na ang saging ug ubang kahoy, nag-landslide na,” Oliva said.

In a separate interview, City Councilor David Tumulak, head of CCDRRMC, said the disaster team inspected the area of the sports complex.

“Positive nga dunay impending threat. Ang mga loose soil, didto na sa retaining wall, napuno sa yuta ang retaining wall. Mobigay to anytime. Ang tendency, mo-give way gyod to. Maong atong gi-recommend for the suspension of classes,” he said.

The onset of the rainy season, Tumulak said, triggered the movement of soil at the area. He said they saw the possibility of the incident happening when classes were moved to the sports center last year.

The CCDRRMC, Local School Board, and school representatives met yesterday to discuss possible interventions.

LSB Chairman Ronald Diola said the board has already set aside funds for soil testing at the original school site.

“Soil test first to make sure of the design sa atong i-build nga school building. Atong i-verify ang gisulti sa MGB kay wala pa silay soil test and geotechnical survey sa area nga maka-prove nga landslide prone gyod siya,” he said.

Oliva assured that the students will no longer use the school building, which sits beside a cliff, at the original site.

Oliva said only seven classrooms can be used at the original site. To accommodate all 563 students of the school, six additional makeshift classrooms need to be built but it was also agreed that tents, insulation, and pane board for makeshift classrooms need to be put up.

Oliva also asked the city government to repair the downward soil path that leads to the original site to avoid further accidents.

Tumulak said he will coordinate with the city’s Department of Engineering and Public Works so that a drainage system can be opened at the area.

“Let’s make sure nga final na ang ilang balikan kay aron dili na magbalhin-balhin atong students. They deserve to have a good quality room,” he said.  (FREEMAN)

ACIRC ANG BARANGAY BUSAY BUSAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CEBU CITY DISASTER RISK REDUCTION AND MANAGEMENT COUNCIL CHAIRMAN RONALD DIOLA CITY COUNCILOR DAVID TUMULAK CLASSES COMPLEX ORIGINAL SCHOOL
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with